Towns of Tasmania - Richmond

Photographs of Richmond, Tasmania

Australia's most original Georgian village 24kms from Hobart. First explored in 1803 by Lieutenant Bowen. A few years later when the settlers came and the area was called "Sweetwater". The discovery of coal along its banks caused the river to be named the Coal River, and the town itself (officially named by Lt Gov. William Sorell on February 23, 1824), was so called as the 90 acres on which it was established had once been part of a property called "Richmond Park". In early years Richmond was an important police district and the first part of the gaol was built in 1825, five years before port Arthur. The bridge, built in 1823, enable easier movement of military, police and convicts between Hobart and Port Arthur, as well as the transport of goods. When Sorell Causeway opened in 1872, this traffic no longer passed through Richmond and that is why the town remains much as it was one hundred years ago. The town has a well preserved convict gaol and many firsts - including the nation's oldest Roman Catholic church and bridge.

Richmond is a genuine village of slate and cobbles, handmade brick and mellow stone, cottages and manors. Wander streets lined with sandstone buildings that now serve as showplaces for the best of Tasmania's fine art and crafts.

home | restaurants | Salamanca market | Hobart | email
Links | Towns listed by Name | Towns by Municipality

http://www.townsoftasmania.com

This site was updated on Monday, 20 October 2008 by Kelvin Markham Ph 0419 152 612